WINTON WOODS OPERATING LEVY
Election Day on Tuesday, November 2, 2021
Forest Park/Greenhills/Springfield Township—On Tuesday, November 2, 2021, Winton Woods City Schools will have a 5-year emergency levy on the ballot. This crucial levy would generate $3 million annually for operating expenses, which includes instructional services, maintaining all educational and extracurricular opportunities for every student. It would also provide funding for key identified areas of need including the sustainability of our 5-star preschool program and all-day kindergarten, increased enrollment, and additional school resource officers. The last time an emergency levy was passed was 2009.
This levy will continue to provide the funds for essential day-to-day operational expenses such as high-quality staff, utilities, classroom technology for all students, supplies, and equipment. There will unfortunately be consequences if the levy does not pass.“We did not make cuts this year but will need to cut 45 teachers and 45 staff members if this levy does not pass,” said Superintendent Anthony G. Smith. “When educational cuts occur, it hurts the educational system for many years to come.”
District Treasurer Randy Seymour said Winton Woods District has not had an increase in operating expenses (new money) since 2009, which equates to twelve years. Each household in the $100,000 price value will pay $16.21 per month, which equates to $194.60 per year. The bond passed in 2016 provided the funds for the construction of the new facilities. These tax dollars will cover the costs of what happens inside them. We are very grateful for our taxpayers’ support and the love they have shown for our children, our schools, and our community.
Where do campaign funds come from? The district cannot fund the campaign to encourage residents to vote for this levy. However, a group of parents and community members has formed a committee called Citizens for Educational Progress and School Issues (CEPSI) to generate support for the levy that will be on the November 2 ballot. Our children, our parents, and our community deserve the best to ensure Winton Woods City Schools will continue to become a proud district of destination.
ACADEMICS, FINE ARTS AND ATHLETICS
If approved, this proposal will support our children and community by continuing to offer robust academic programs, incredible fine arts, and athletic programs.
EXPAND THE 5-STAR RATED PRESCHOOL VILLAGE
Additionally, this $3.2 million levy proposal will support our children and community is by expanding our Preschool Village. There is consensus in the field of education that investing in a high-quality preschool program can have a greater impact on the child, family, and community for the future. The vision of the Preschool Village is to have enough space to provide all children in the district with the opportunity to attend our 5-star rated preschool as well as have access to dental and vision services. The State of Ohio funds only 30% of the total operating expenses for preschool leaving 70% funded by local tax dollars. These levy dollars will be for operating expenses that will occur with an expansion of preschool including increased staffing.
Winton Woods City Schools believes students must first feel safe and secure in order to grow academically, emotionally, and socially. Because every emergency situation is unique, we continue to invest in preparing our students and staff for serious disruptions and threats. Like many other school districts, these funds will support an increased number of school resource officers on our two new campuses.
In the last four years, more students have become interested in the Winton Woods educational experience due to our quality academic programs and opportunities.
2015-16 => 3,589 Students
2016-17 => 3,744 Students
2017-18 => 3,803 Students
2018-19 => 3,840 Students
Fall 2019 => 4,049 Students
COST TO HOME OWNER
To calculate the estimate for your property...
- Go to https://wedge.hcauditor.org
- Type your street name, click "Search"
- Select your property
- Click on "Levy Information" in the right hand column
We have SuperCasts with various guests talking about our main levy points: Preschool, School Safety and Enrollment (below).
SUPERCAST: Episodes Regarding Preschool, School Safety and Enrollment
==> November 2019 - School Safety and Security
==> October 2019 - Student Enrollment
==> August 2019 - The Preschool Village Experience